RSCO School Choice Fall Fair – Saturday, October 22, 9:30 am to 1:30 pm
Applying to School Choice
There is still time to Apply! The Late Application is Open! Apply Today!
After exploring what RSCO has to offer, get started on your child’s application! RSCO’s new on-line application platform has made applying easier for everyone!
RSCO has two application periods:
1) RSCO On-time Application and 2) RSCO Late Application
If you need help, please reach out for assistance. We have plenty of resources available to assist you through the process!
Important dates to remember when applying:
- On-Time Application period begins November 12, 2021 and ends February 28, 2022.
- The Early Application period for the Hartford Area Connecticut Technical High Schools begins on November 12, 2021 and ends on January 10, 2022.
- The Late Application is now available from March 1, 2022 through September 15, 2022. If you missed the on-time application deadline, you still have the opportunity to submit a late application. Be sure to get your application in as soon as possible during the late application period.
How to submit an application
Using the new RSCO School Choice Application, you can apply online to multiple schools and programs through one Guardian account. Make sure to carefully make your school/district selections. Selecting more than one school/district will increase the chance of receiving a placement but be sure to only select those schools and districts your child is willing to attend.
- Access the RSCO Online Application
- Use your account from last school year or set up at new account
- Complete or update your Guardian Profile
- Complete a Family Profile
- Create a separate profile for each child whether or not they are applying for the 2022-23 school year to make sure we capture all of your priorities
- For each child applying, select schools and programs that fit their interests and skills
- Complete and submit an application for each child by February 28, 2022. for the on-time period or between March 1, 2022 and September 15, 2022 for the late application period. Applying during the on-time application period increases your chances of a placement
Resource: How to Apply Guidebook
On-time Applicants (Families Who Applied by February 28, 2022)
You will have a “View Only” access to your application, which means you will be able to view your application information but you will not be able to make any changes. If you have questions about your application or need updates made to your contact information, please use the message option in the RSCO on-line application or contact RSCO at email@example.com or 860-713-6990.
Common questions to consider when applying
Q: Do I have to complete the application all at once or can I save and return to it at a later
A: With our new application, you can start the application and then go back into the application at a later time! You do not have to finish it all at one time, but remember to submit it by February 28, 2022 for the on-time period or as early as possible between March 1, 2022 and September 15, 2022 for the late application period..
Q: Can I make changes to my RSCO on-time application after February 28, 2022?
A: After February 28, 2022, you may only change your contact information (for example: address, telephone, email address) by contacting the RSCO office at 860-713-6960 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: Can I edit a RSCO Late Application after it has been submitted?
A: No. Late applications may not be edited after they have been submitted unless there is a change to your contact information. To make the change, families must contact the RSCO office via telephone at 860-713-6960 or email email@example.com.
Q: If I applied last year and did not receive a placement, do I have to reapply this year for the 2022–23 school year?
A: Yes. All waitlists from the previous year have expired. Typically, all waitlists expire on September 30th of each school year. Therefore, families must submit a new application for the 2022-23 school year.
Q: Can I submit more than one RSCO application for my child to increase my chances of placement?
A: No, you can only submit ONE (1) RSCO School Choice application for each child, either an on-time application or a late application, but not both. If you submit multiple application for the same child, RSCO will delete the duplicate applications and will only consider the first application submitted.
Q: Do I have to submit a separate application for each of my children?
A: Yes! If you are seeking placements for more than one child, you must complete a separate application for each child under one Guardian account.
Q: How do I submit an application for siblings with the same date of birth (twins/ multiples)?
A: We try to link applications where two or more siblings share the same birthday and at least one biological parent or legal guardian. In order to group the applications together, the applications for each of the siblings (twins/ multiples) must:
- Apply at the same time. Submit an on-time application (November 12, 2021 to February 28, 2022 or late (March 1 to September 15, 2022);
- Apply for the same grade level and the same schools; and
- Select the exact schools or districts in the exact same rank order of preference starting with the first choice.
Although every effort is made to link twin/multiple applications, placement at a school or program for twins/multiples does not always occur. As always, placements vary by school and program and depend on seat availability.
Q: Is there a placement advantage to applying early?
A: There are no placement advantages to applying early! As long as you apply by February 28, 2022, your application is on time. The only exception to this general rule is the CTECS early application deadline of January 10, 2022 for students entering the 9th grade who are applying to the technical high schools through RSCO and want to take advantage of the early application period.
Q: Do I have to apply to all three school choice programs (magnet schools, open choice program or CTECS schools)?
A: No. You may apply to one or all of the school choice programs that best fits the interest of your child and needs of your family but you must complete or opt-out of each program before submitting your child’s application.
Q: How many schools can I select on the application for my child?
A: The number of selections depends on the program. Use this information as a reference for your choices:
- For Magnet Schools: You may select up to five (5) schools that offer your child’s grade level. Rank the schools in order of preference.
- For the Open Choice Program for Hartford Residents: Hartford residents applying to the Open Choice Program may select up to five (5) school districts in their resident zone and rank them in order of preference.
- For the Open Choice Program for Suburban Residents: Open Choice provides opportunities at specific programs in a limited number of schools. Applicants may select the schools that serve their grade level and rank them in order of preference. Typically, there are less than five schools available for the various grade levels.
- For Connecticut Technical High Schools: Applicants entering 9th grade can apply to A.I. Prince Technical High School in Hartford, E.C. Goodwin Technical High School in New Britain, and Howell Cheney Technical High School in Manchester through the RSCO application. Applicants apply to all three schools as a region and must rank them in order of preference.
Q: When is the Late Application Period?
A: The Late Application period begins on March 1, 2022 and ends on September 15, 2022 for CTECS (A.I. Prince Tech, E.C. Goodwin Tech, and Howell Cheney Tech), Interdistrict Magnet Schools and the Open Choice Program.
Q: What are my chances of receiving a placement offer if I submit a late application?
A: If you missed the on-time deadline, we encourage families to apply during the late application period because, as in previous years, we will send placement offers to families with late applications as seats become available.
PreK-3, PreK-4, and Kindergarten Age Requirements for the 2022-23 School Year
- PK3 (Prekindergarten Age 3): Child was born between September 1, 2018 and December 31, 2019;
- PK4 (Prekindergarten Age 4): Child was born between September 1, 2017 and December 31, 2018; or
- Kindergarten: Child was born between September 1, 2016 and December 31, 2017, OR child was born between September 1, 2015 and August 31, 2016, and has no previous schooling.
Important notes about change of address for the Open Choice Program:
- An applicant who moves out of Hartford is no longer eligible to attend Open Choice schools in districts outside of Hartford.
- An applicant who moves into Hartford is no longer eligible to attend Open Choice schools in Hartford.
Other important information to keep in mind when you are completing the application:
Agreement Statement: Families must confirm that all information provided on the application is true and accurate before submitting the application.
Survey: Families must answer brief survey questions about your interest in school choice, how you heard about RSCO, and where or how you completed the application.
Review your application: After you complete all parts of the application, you will be able to review your school and program selections. Please make sure to review all of the information before selecting “Submit” as your final step.
Final Step — Application Submitted: After selecting “Submit,” check the Dashboard to confirm that your application has been submitted. Make sure to submit your application! We cannot consider applications that are not submitted.
Making Changes to Your On-time Application
Families are able to make changes to the RSCO School Choice application up through February 28, 2022 for the On-Time Application.
Q: When can I make a change if I submitted my application by February 28, 2022?
A: Between November 12, 2021 through February 28, 2022
Q: What change can I make by February 28, 2022?
A: You can change:
- Your contact information (address, telephone number, email address)
- Your demographic information (e.g., birthdate, sibling verification, grade)
- Your school selections for Magnet Schools, CTECS (technical high schools), Open Choice for suburban residents.
- Your district selections for Open Choice for Hartford Residents.
Q: How do I make a change by February 28, 2022?
A: To make a change:
- Log into your RSCO application account using the email address and password you used to submit the application and select “Edit” to adjust your school or program selections.
- Call the RSCO Parent Information Center at 860-713-6990 for assistance.
After the February 28, 2022 deadline:
You can change:
- Your contact Information (address, telephone number, email address)
To make changes:
- Call the RSCO Parent Information Center at 860-713-6990.
Making Changes to Your Late Application
Families can make changes to a Late Application if the application while it is sill in progress and has not been summitted. Once a Late Application is submitted, a family cannot make any changes to school/program selections on the application.
Q: What can I change?
A: Your contact information (address, telephone number and email address).
Q: How do I make the change?
A: Make changes by calling the RSCO Parent Information Center at 860-713-6990.