Follow us on Facebook!
RSCO Family Fun Night and Application Assistance – Thursday, February 16, 2023
RSCO’s on-time application for the 2023-24 school year is now open! The new application platform is enhanced to make applying even easier. If you need help, please contact us for assistance. We have plenty of resources available to assist you through the process!
Important Dates for the 2023-2024 School Year Application
- On-Time Application period begins December 7, 2022 and ends February 28, 2023.
- The Early Application period for the Hartford Area Connecticut Technical High Schools begins December 7, 2022 and ends on January 13, 2023.
- The Late Application is available from March 15, 2023 through September 15, 2023.
How to submit an application
Using the new RSCO School Choice Application, you can apply online to multiple schools and programs through one Guardian account. Carefully research each school or district opportunity before submitting your application. Most applicants are only eligible for one placement offer. While selecting more than one school/district will increase the chance of receiving a placement, but be sure to only select those schools and districts your child is willing to attend.
- Access the RSCO Online Application
- Use your account from last school year if you are a returning student or set up a new account if you are applying for the first time
- Complete and update your Guardian Profile
- Complete a Family Profile
- Create a separate profile for each child applying for the 2023-24 school year
- Answer the enrolled sibling, staff, and alumni priorities questions
- For each child applying, select schools and programs that fit their interests and skills
- Complete and submit an application for each child and for each program you are interested in (magnet, Open Choice, technical high schools) by February 28, 2023 for the on-time period or between March 15, 2023 and September 15, 2023 for the late application period. Applying during the on-time application period increases your chances of a placement.
Common questions to consider when applying
- Do I have to complete the application all at once or can I save and return to it at a later
time? With our new application, you can start the application and then go back into the application at a later time! You do not have to finish it all at one time, but remember to submit it by February 28, 2023 for the on-time period or as early as possible between March 15, 2023 and September 15, 2023 for the late application period.
- If I applied last year and did not receive a placement, do I have to reapply this year for the 2023–24 school year? Yes. All waitlists from the previous year have expired. Typically, all waitlists expire on September 30th of each school year. Therefore, families must submit a new application for the 2023-24 school year.
- Can I submit more than one RSCO application for my child to increase my chances of placement?
No, you can only submit ONE (1) RSCO School Choice application for each child, either an on-time application or a late application, but not both. If you submit multiple application for the same child, RSCO will delete the duplicate applications and will only consider the first application submitted.
- Do I have to submit a separate application for each of my children? Yes! If you are seeking placements for more than one child, you must complete a separate application for each child under one Guardian account.
- How do I submit an application for siblings with the same date of birth (twins/ multiples)? We try to link applications where two or more siblings share the same birthday and at least one biological parent or legal guardian. As always, placements vary by school and program and depend on seat availability. In order to group the applications together, the applications for each of the siblings (twins/ multiples) must follow these basic rules:
- Apply at the same time. Submit an on-time application (December 2022 to February 28, 2023) or late (March 15, 2023 to September 15, 2023) for twins/multiples;
- Apply for the same grade level; and
- Select the exact schools or districts in the exact same rank order of preference starting with the first choice.
- Note: Although every effort is made to link twin/multiple applications, placement at a school or program for twins/multiples does not always occur.
- Is there a placement advantage to applying early? There are no placement advantages to applying early! As long as you apply by February 28, 2023, your application is on time. The only exception to this general rule is the CTECS early application deadline of January 13, 2023 for students entering the 9th grade who are applying to the technical high schools through RSCO and want to take advantage of the early application period.
- Do I have to apply to all three school choice programs (magnet schools, open choice program or CTECS schools)? No. You may apply to one or all of the school choice programs that best fit the interest of your child and needs of your family but you must complete or opt-out of each program before submitting your child’s application.
- How many schools can I select on the application for my child? The number of selections depends on the program. Use this information as a reference for your choices:
- For Magnet Schools: You may select up to five (5) schools that offer your child’s grade level. Rank the schools in order of preference.
- For the Open Choice Program for Hartford Residents: Hartford residents applying to the Open Choice Program may select up to five (5) school districts in their resident zone and rank them in order of preference.
- For the Open Choice Program for Suburban Residents: Open Choice provides opportunities at specific programs in a limited number of schools. Applicants may select the schools that serve their grade level and rank them in order of preference. Typically, there are less than five schools available for the various grade levels.
- For Connecticut Technical High Schools: Applicants entering 9th grade can apply to A.I. Prince Technical High School in Hartford, E.C. Goodwin Technical High School in New Britain, and Howell Cheney Technical High School in Manchester through the RSCO application. Applicants schools in order of preference.
- When is the Late Application Period? The Late Application period begins on March 15, 2023 and ends on September 15, 2023 for CTECS (A.I. Prince Tech, E.C. Goodwin Tech, and Howell Cheney Tech), Interdistrict Magnet Schools and the Open Choice Program.
- What are my chances of receiving a placement offer if I submit a late application? If you missed the on-time deadline, we encourage families to apply during the late application period because, as in previous years, we will send placement offers to families with late applications as seats become available. After the first round of placements, families will be able to view an indicator that shows the likelihood of receiving a placement.
PreK-3, PreK-4, and Kindergarten Age Requirements for the 2023-24 School Year
- PK3 (Prekindergarten Age 3): Child was born between September 1, 2019 and December 31, 2020;
- PK4 (Prekindergarten Age 4): Child was born between September 1, 2018 and December 31, 2019: or
- Kindergarten: Child was born between September 1, 2017, and December 31, 2018 OR child was born between September 1, 2016 and August 31, 2017 and has no previous schooling.
Important notes about change of address for the Open Choice Program
- An applicant who moves out of Hartford is no longer eligible to attend Open Choice schools in districts outside of Hartford.
- An applicant who moves into Hartford is no longer eligible to attend Open Choice schools in Hartford.
Other important information to keep in mind when you are completing the application
Agreement Statement: Families must confirm that all information provided on the application is true and accurate before submitting the application.
Survey: Families must answer brief survey questions about your interest in school choice, how you heard about RSCO, and where or how you completed the application.
Review your application: After you complete all parts of the application, you will be able to review your school and program selections. Please make sure to review all of the information before selecting “Submit” as your final step for each program you are applying to (magnet schools, Open Choice and/or CTECS).
Final Step — Application Submitted: After selecting “Submit” for each program you are interested in (magnet schools, Open Choice, CTECS), check your student details pages to confirm that your application has been submitted for each program. Make sure to submit your application for each program! RSCO cannot consider applications that are not submitted.