Join us for our In-Person RSCO Fair on Sat. Nov. 13th More Info
There is Still Time to Apply
The Regional School Choice Office (RSCO) is still accepting late applications for the Open Choice Program (Hartford Residents) for the 2021-22 school year until October 31, 2021.
OPEN CHOICE PROGRAM
Hartford Residents with Children Entering PK4 (age 4), Kindergarten and 1st Grade for the 2021-22 School Year Still have Time to Apply to Participating Open Choice School Districts!
Please Find Your Resident Zone and Child’s Applying Grade to find OPEN CHOICE SCHOOL DISTRICTS ACCEPTING LATE APPLICATIONS FOR THE 2021-22 SCHOOL YEAR
Zone 1 (Find Your Zone)
Zone 2 (Find Your Zone)
Zone 3 (Find Your Zone)
Zone 4 (Find Your Zone)
Top 5 Things to Know about the Hartford Region Open Choice Program
- What is Open Choice? The Open Choice Program for Hartford residents provides students who live in Hartford with an opportunity to attend school in high-quality school districts located outside of Hartford for free. Students are able to access the benefits of incredible academic opportunities in suburban communities, while learning, and playing alongside students from a school district outside of Hartford.
- How does my child get to the school? Free transportation is available for Harford residents (PK4 to 12th grade) to and from their Open Choice School. More information about Transportation.
- Do I need submit a RSCO application when my child is transitioning from elementary school and/or middle school to a higher grade level? Families do not submit another RSCO application for their child to move to higher grade levels. Children attending an Open Choice school continue their enrollment through high school graduation.
- What type of school and district level support is available for my child? Open Choice school districts provide academic and social emotional support to all children, including, but not limited to, gifted and talented, English language learners, and special needs students.
- Can my child participate in the Open Choice School District’s Sports and Activities? Yes, they are eligible to participate in athletic/sports programs and extracurricular activities on the same basis as other students in the district.
Late Application Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the Late Application? The Late Application is a RSCO Application that is available after the on-time application closes.
What is the different between an “on-time” and “late application”? The on-time application was from December 1, 2020 to March 19, 2021. During the late application period, not all of the same grade levels and/or school/programs are available. Late applicants are placed based on seat availability.
What grade, schools, and/or programs are available during the Late Application Period? These may change throughout the late application period.
Can a family submit both an on-time application and a late application for the same child to increase their chances of getting a placement offer? No. The late application is available to applicants who did not submit an application by March 19, 2021. Applicants who submitted an application during the on- time period may not submit a late application.
Can a family submit multiple applications for one student? No, a family cannot submit more than one application for the same student. If there are more than one applications for the same student, RSCO uses the first application and deletes the later applications, including any late applications. If you would like to make changes to the parent/guardian information on your application, please contact RSCO.
What are my chances of receiving a placement offer if I submit a late application? We encourage families to apply during the late application period because, as in previous years, we will send placement offers to families with late applications as seats become available.
How do I receive a placement offer? RSCO uses email and/or text message to send communications to notify families of placement offers. Families are encouraged to regularly monitor the email address you used to set up your application; log into your application and look at your Dashboard for new documents or updates; and/or view the Announcements page of this website for updates.
I started an on-line application, but did not submit it on time. Do I need to start a new one? No, you do not need to create a new application. Log into the application that you started, complete the required information, then submit your application.