The RSCO School Choice Application for the 2024-25 School Year is Open! Apply Now!
Betances STEM Magnet School
An emphasis on 21st century science and technology drive the core curriculum at STEM and STEM-related schools. This theme also includes programs with a focus on environmental sciences. STEM prepares students for our global, technology-driven future and fosters inquiring minds, logical reasoning, and great collaboration.
Hartford, CT 06114
Betances STEM Magnet School is an innovative learning community that incorporates learning with an advanced academic focus on Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). Our purpose is to offer and expose our students to 21st Century skills that will ensure their value to society. Students are engaged in hands-on, experiential learning, observation and analysis, and have extensive laboratory experiences using contemporary technologies for scientific inquiry, mathematical calculation and engineering design. All of which are at the core strategy of STEM inquiry. Partnerships with community organizations such as the Connecticut Science Center, Barnes and Noble, UCONN Health and Nutmeg Big Brothers Big Sister’s provide our school community with learning opportunities and professional development.
Did you Know?
Betances STEM has several flight simulators in which students artificially recreate an aircraft’s flight and the environment in which it flies for pilot training, design, and other purposes.
Betances Learning Lab 4th grade students have a direct pathway option to attend 5th grade at Betances STEM Magnet School. To be considered for this direct pathway placement, you must submit an on-time 2023-24 RSCO online application with Betances STEM Magnet School as your first choice.
School Report Card – the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) has prepared this report, which includes information about student enrollment, student achievement, student and teacher diversity, and much more.
- Unique STEM pilot flight simulators where students artificially recreate an aircraft’s flight for pilot training and design
- Engineering classes offer students the opportunity to design and construct models in co-op groups
- STEM Plus classes, LEGO® robotics, and coding enhance the traditional curriculum
- Students have extensive laboratory experiences using contemporary technologies for scientific inquiry, mathematical calculation and engineering design
- The inclusion of STEM into the traditional curriculum serves as an incentive to students to move from “learning to read” to “reading to learn”
Sports, Clubs & Activities
Sports: Track, flag football, soccer and basketball
Clubs and activities include Dungeons and Dragons