Breakthrough Magnet School, South
School Message Board
Late Application InformationWe are accepting late applications for the following grades:
Breakthrough Magnet School South’s unique theme is Character Education. The B.R.I.C.K. character curriculum supports students to change “Breakdowns to Breakthroughs,” and to take responsibility for their own happiness while being mindful. As a result, students are independent and responsible, and demonstrate strong self-esteem and leadership skills. Students learn the importance of integrity and have opportunities to engage in service to others, in our school, home, community and beyond.
Building academic knowledge through our rigorous, standards-based curriculum, as well as communication and social skills, is central to this special approach. Rich exposure to visual, musical and dramatic arts, physical health & physical literacy, Spanish starting at K, and enrichment programs completes this education of the “whole child.”
It all takes place in a state-of-the-art building that was designed and built for our character theme. Our school sits on seven acres of land and is located in a safe neighborhood on the West Hartford line. We have an outdoor amphitheater, a green roof for gardening, and spacious classrooms with full kitchens.
School Report Card – the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) has prepared this report, which includes information about student enrollment, student achievement, student and teacher diversity, and much more.
- Whole child instruction — art, music, P.E., Spanish, mindfulness, and community service
- Enrichment activities; field trips; Hartford Performs teaching artists
- The Character Education theme promotes kindness, and a solution-focused mindset
- Recognized as a National School of Character by Magnet Schools of America
- Provides a rigorous, hands-on interdisciplinary curriculum with a strong focus on active participation
- Rigorous, hands-on interdisciplinary curriculum with a strong focus on active participation with perseverance and having a growth mindset
- Named the nation’s #1 Magnet School for 2015 by Magnet Schools of America
- Offers a unique, award winning Character Education theme, and an interdisciplinary curriculum celebrating the rich international and ethnic diversity of the student body
Sports, Clubs & Activities
Enrichment programs, community service, Trashion Fashion, middle school sports and cheerleading, band and chorus, Mindful Fusion Music, and running club.
Documents & Flyers
Selecting the right school for your family is an important decision for your student’s future success!