The RSCO School Choice Application for the 2024-25 School Year is Open! Apply Now!
CREC Preschool at Progress Drive
In partnership with our families and community, the preschool strives to shape the social, emotional and intellectual development of our preschool students. We provide a developmentally appropriate, play-based learning environment, which nurtures and encourages uniqueness, creativity, and respects equity, diversity and inclusion. We strive to create a positive, safe learning environment where children learn, play, grow, and thrive together. Early Childhood Program Philosophy and Curriculum. We believe that children learn best in an environment where their interests and opinions are supported, their solutions to problems are encouraged, and active learning through play is valued. Our philosophy emphasizes respect for self,
others, and the classroom environment.
CRECs Early Childhood Program curriculum has its base in developmentally appropriate practice and uses the State of Connecticut Early Learning and Development Standards (CT ELDS) as a guideline for curriculum development. The CT ELDS are learning and developmental outcomes to be intentionally addressed through planned experiences, materials, and interactions. Learning outcomes are achieved through:
- a variety of hands-on discovery activities and materials on a daily basis that support learning goals
- responsive teaching staff who meet the individual needs of the children and families we serve
- reflective practices that create an environment of inclusion and honor diversity
- partnership with families that fosters strong reciprocal relationships and achieves mutually desired goals
Our curriculum is implemented using teacher observation and documentation to plan theme-based, developmentally appropriate experiences where children can explore, experiment, play and ask questions.
CREC’s Preschool at Progress Drive is an extension of three CREC magnet schools: Academy of Aerospace and Engineering Elementary (Rocky Hill), Glastonbury East Hartford Magnet School (Glastonbury), and University of Hartford Magnet School (Hartford).
When applying to Progress Drive, families have the unique opportunity to select a direct pathway to continue the magnet experience in kindergarten – grade 5 at one of these three magnet schools. On the RSCO application, the following three options are available for CREC’s Preschool at Progress Drive:
- CREC Preschool at Progress Drive, Academy of Aerospace and Engineering Elementary Pathway
- CREC Preschool at Progress Drive, Glastonbury East Hartford Magnet School Pathway
- CREC Preschool at Progress Drive, University of Hartford Magnet School Pathway
Upon enrollment, Progress Drive students will be placed in classrooms with peers who share the same pathway, which means they will have established friendships when transitioning to the new school for kindergarten. Classrooms will also incorporate the theme of the pathway school.
Contact the pathway schools for more information about their theme and program offerings: