D.F. Harris Sr. AgriScience Center at Bloomfield High School
Bloomfield, CT 06002
Agricultural Science and Technology Education (ASTE) programs serve secondary students in full- and shared- time programs. Located on the campus of Bloomfield High School, the Harris Agriscience Center prepare students for college and careers in animal science, agribusiness, agricultural mechanics, aquaculture, biotechnology, food science, natural resources, and plant science. The ASTE program incorporates a hands-on, active curriculum that integrates subject area skills and knowledge, applied skills in the core subjects of mathematics, science, and English/Language Arts while developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth, and career success, incorporating leadership skills and work-based learning experiences through the National FFA Organization and supervised agriculture experiences.
The Harris Agriscience Center meets the needs of its students by providing educational opportunities in a variety of pathways in the fields of animal science, aquaculture, Natural Resource, Plant, and Power Structural and Technical systems for purposes of ensuring that students are competent, literate, and develop their potential for premier leadership, personal growth, and career success for college and other career-related areas learned through the three-circle model academics FFA, SAE. As a school we will continue to aspire for excellence in the 4 A’s: Academics, Athletics, Arts and Agri-Science.
Application Deadline: Friday, January 14, 2022. Apply using a Paper Application.
- Designated Communities for Music Education, 2020 Unified Sports Award
- Rigorous curriculum, instruction and assessment
- Specialized course offerings in animal and aquaculture science, floral Art, greenhouse management/horticulture, music, and Spanish composition, exploring the equine industry and equine facility design and operations, animal veterinary science, apiculture, aquaculture science, botany, ecology, landscape design
- Built-in personalized learning and leadership development opportunities for all students
- MDC, DEEP, and university, college, and business partnerships
Sports, Clubs & Activities
The extracurricular program at Bloomfield High School consists of a host of challenging activities designed to appeal to pursue interests and talents. From the artist to the athlete, the students may seek to participate in activities where further academic, social, emotional, and physical development is assured. Clubs range from National Honors Society, National French and Spanish Honor Society, National FFA Organization, Model UN, Color Guard and Drill Team, Music club, and music club and many more. Most clubs are student led with a faculty advisor. Opportunities also exist for service within the school and community.
Special Offerings and Features:
- Early College Experience (ECE) University of Connecticut, Post University, Capital and Manchester Community College
- Built-in personalized learning and leadership development opportunities for all
- National FFA Student Leadership
- School-based entrepreneurship/research and super- vised work-based planning
- Competitive Athletic Program at the Varsity and Jr. Varsity levels