Now accepting late applications! Apply Now!
Join us on Sat., May 6th at RSCO’s next School Choice Fair to learn more about your PK-12 options and have fun at same time!
Sport and Medical Sciences Academy
The Sport and Medical Sciences theme integrates sport and medical sciences into the college prep, core curriculum. Students receive a rigorous foundation in language arts, mathematics, and science with a focus on sport and medical science through hands-on, experiential learning.
Hartford, CT 06106
The Sport and Medical Sciences Academy (SMSA) is a college preparatory middle and high school with a focus on Sport and Medical Sciences. The Academy’s core beliefs – Dedication, Responsibility, Discipline and Respect – are embedded into each student’s educational experience to develop social consciousness and leadership skills as they learn and grow.
Students receive a rigorous foundation in Science, Language Arts, and Mathematics, while the theme is applied within the core curriculum through block scheduling, allowing for hands-on, experiential learning. They are able to prepare for college by earning tuition-free college credits while still in high school through the College Board and UCONN.
Emphasis is placed on creating opportunities for advanced study and career exploration in the fields of sport and medicine through job shadowing and internships. SMSA is an educational family where all staff members are invested in all of our students’ academic success.
School Report Card – the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) has prepared this report, which includes information about student enrollment, student achievement, student and teacher diversity, and much more.
- SMSA boasts a state-of-the-art facility, featuring 10 science labs, 2 gymnasiums and 2 fitness centers.
- Students are able to prepare for college by earning tuition-free college credits while still in high school through the College Board and UConn.
- Students receive a rigorous foundation in science, language arts, and mathematics, while the theme is applied within the core curriculum.
- SMSA offers specialized courses in the sport and medical sciences, such as biomedical sciences and athletic training. UConn courses are also offered for college credit.
- Experiential learning is offered outside of the classroom through UConn Medical and Dental Schools, UConn, CCSU, and ECSU.
- 92.3% four-year graduate rate
Sports, Clubs & Activities
SMSA is a member of the CIAC for high school athletics, offering 13 Varsity sports. In addition, we offer a variety of clubs including International Travelers Club, Chess Club, and club sports for middle school students.