Sport and Medical Sciences Academy
The Sport and Medical Sciences theme integrates sport and medical sciences into the college prep, core curriculum. Students receive a rigorous foundation in language arts, mathematics, and science with a focus on sport and medical science through hands-on, experiential learning.
Hartford, CT 06106
School Message Board
Welcome to the Sport and Medical Sciences Academy!
We are delighted that your child has received an invitation to attend our Magnet School for the 2022-2023 School Year. To secure your child’s seat for the upcoming school year, please follow this two-step acceptance and registration process.
- Accept your child’s seat by logging in to your RSCO account and adhere to the RSCO deadline. We encourage you to submit your response as soon as possible.
- Please note: if you opt to decline the placement seat, your child will not receive another placement offer for the 2022-2023 school year.
- Register your child by completing the on-line registration. All registration documents must be received to officially enroll your child at our school. Please refer to the list below of required documents.
- Child’s Birth Certificate
- Parent/Guardian Photo ID – Driver’s License, Passport, or Government issued ID
- Proof of Residency (utility bill such as cable, light, gas, water, home or car insurance or property tax bill)
- State of CT Health Assessment Record Form. An updated physical is required for all students.
- Authorization for Release of Student Records (if applicable).
Please register as quickly as possible. We can help upload your documents to the registration portal. Contact us at 860-695-6900.
The Sport and Medical Sciences Academy (SMSA) is a college preparatory middle and high school with a focus on Sport and Medical Sciences. The Academy’s core beliefs – Dedication, Responsibility, Discipline and Respect – are embedded into each student’s educational experience to develop social consciousness and leadership skills as they learn and grow.
Students receive a rigorous foundation in Science, Language Arts, and Mathematics, while the theme is applied within the core curriculum through block scheduling, allowing for hands-on, experiential learning. They are able to prepare for college by earning tuition-free college credits while still in high school through the College Board and UCONN.
Emphasis is placed on creating opportunities for advanced study and career exploration in the fields of sport and medicine through job shadowing and internships. SMSA is an educational family where all staff members are invested in all of our students’ academic success.
School Report Card – the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) has prepared this report, which includes information about student enrollment, student achievement, student and teacher diversity, and much more.
- SMSA boasts a state-of-the-art facility, featuring 10 science labs, 2 gymnasiums and 2 fitness centers.
- Students are able to prepare for college by earning tuition-free college credits while still in high school through the College Board and UConn.
- Students receive a rigorous foundation in science, language arts, and mathematics, while the theme is applied within the core curriculum.
- SMSA offers specialized courses in the sport and medical sciences, such as biomedical sciences and athletic training. UConn courses are also offered for college credit.
- Experiential learning is offered outside of the classroom through UConn Medical and Dental Schools, UConn, CCSU, and ECSU.
- 92.3% four-year graduate rate
Sports, Clubs & Activities
SMSA is a member of the CIAC for high school athletics, offering 13 Varsity sports. In addition, we offer a variety of clubs including International Travelers Club, Chess Club, and club sports for middle school students.