Sport and Medical Sciences Academy
School Message Board
Late Application InformationWe have limited availability, but there’s still time to apply! Seats may become available at the following grade(s) for the 2021-22 school year.
Sport and Medical Sciences Academy (SMSA) welcomes prospective families that received a placement offer for the 2021-22 school year!
2021-2022 SMSA New Student Orientation
New SMSA students and their families are invited to attend the New Student and Family Orientation. The event will include an introduction and overview of the school and the programs offered. Families will hear from students, teachers, and parents to share information about the school as well as answer questions. School tours will be available pending approval. Save the date of August 11, 2021. More details coming soon!
Student Registration Information
Student registration is one of the last steps of the placement process. If you received a placement offer and accepted a seat at this school for the upcoming 2021-2022 School Year (beginning August 2021) please contact the school directly for registration instructions and next steps. On-line Registration
The Sport and Medical Sciences Academy (SMSA) is a college preparatory middle and high school with a focus on Sport and Medical Sciences. The Academy’s core beliefs – Dedication, Responsibility, Discipline and Respect – are embedded into each student’s educational experience to develop social consciousness and leadership skills as they learn and grow.
Students receive a rigorous foundation in Science, Language Arts, and Mathematics, while the theme is applied within the core curriculum through block scheduling, allowing for hands-on, experiential learning. They are able to prepare for college by earning tuition-free college credits while still in high school through the College Board and UCONN.
Emphasis is placed on creating opportunities for advanced study and career exploration in the fields of sport and medicine through job shadowing and internships. SMSA is an educational family where all staff members are invested in all of our students’ academic success.
School Report Card – the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE) has prepared this report, which includes information about student enrollment, student achievement, student and teacher diversity, and much more.
- SMSA boasts a state-of-the-art facility, featuring 10 science labs, 2 gymnasiums and 2 fitness centers.
- Students are able to prepare for college by earning tuition-free college credits while still in high school through the College Board and UConn.
- Students receive a rigorous foundation in science, language arts, and mathematics, while the theme is applied within the core curriculum.
- SMSA offers specialized courses in the sport and medical sciences, such as biomedical sciences and athletic training. UConn courses are also offered for college credit.
- Experiential learning is offered outside of the classroom through UConn Medical and Dental Schools, UConn, CCSU, and ECSU.
- 92.3% four-year graduate rate
Sports, Clubs & Activities
SMSA is a member of the CIAC for high school athletics, offering 13 Varsity sports. In addition, we offer a variety of clubs including International Travelers Club, Chess Club, and club sports for middle school students.
Documents & Flyers
Selecting the right school for your family is an important decision for your student’s future success!