Save the Date!
December 4, 2023 – The 2024-25 RSCO School Choice Application Opens!
Save My Seat
Update (September 30, 2022):
The 2022-23 RSCO School Choice Application has closed. RSCO is no longer sending magnet school and CTECS placement notifications. However, RSCO will continue to make placement announcements for Hartford residents who applied to the Open Choice Program through November 30, 2022.
Families will be notified via email or text messaging of an Open Choice placement offer if seats become available.
frequently asked questions about the Hartford Open Choice placement process,
Top Five Reasons to Save your Seat!
- Enrollment in unique learning environments that help develop students’ interests and passions.
- Access to an exciting variety of clubs, sports and extracurricular activities.
- Engagement with diverse student populations that promote enriching experiences and lifelong friendships.
- Preparing for the future through challenging curricula that ready students for success in school and career paths.
- Enrollment in safe learning environments and access to safe and reliable transportation services to and from school.
Hartford Region Open Choice Placement Offer (Hartford Resident)
Congratulations! Your child has received a placement offer to one of the RSCO Open Choice Programs. This is an amazing educational opportunity available to your child and we hope that you choose to Save Your Seat for the 2022-23 school year and start the next stage of your child’s education.
Things You Need to Know!
1. How do I respond? To respond to your child’s placement offer:
- Log-in to your on-line application using your account email and password
- Go to Your Dashboard
- Select your response for each child
- You will receive a confirmation email after you make your selection
- Have questions? We are happy to help:
2. Can I schedule a school tour or a way to talk to teachers, educators and currently enrolled families? Yes, contact the school/program, let them know what you are interested in, and they can help you!
3. How much time do I have to make my decision? You must respond by the deadline in your placement notification to accept your child’s placement for the 2022-23 school year. You can find the response deadline by logging-in to your on-line application and opening your placement letter in the Your Documents section on your Dashboard. We understand that this is a big decision for your family and want to provide you with the time and information you need to make the best decision for your family. We hope you accept!
4. What does it mean to accept my child’s placement offer and what do I do next? When you accept the placement offer, you have decided to have your child attend an Open Choice school for the 2022-23 school year. By accepting the placement offer, your child is not eligible to receive another magnet, Open Choice or Hartford Region technical high school (if applicable) placement for the 2022-23 school year.
There are a couple more steps that you will need to complete after you accept your placement offer.
- You must complete the two step registration process to register your child with the school/district in your placement notification.
- Step 1: The Open Choice District where you received your placement offer will contact you and will provide specific instructions to complete the district registration process.
- Step 2: Upon completion of your district registration, the Open Choice Program office will send you an email within five (5) business days with instructions on how to complete the CREC PowerSchool Enrollment. If you do not receive an email in within five (5) business days, please contact the Open Choice program office at OpenChoice@crec.org.
- After you complete the registration process, inform your local school/school district that you have accepted a placement and will not be attending a school in your local school district for the 2022-23 school year.
5. What does it mean to decline my child’s placement offer? We hope you choose to accept your child’s placement offer; however, we also understand that interests and circumstances change. If you decide that you do not want your child to attend this Open Choice District, select Decline on your Dashboard. By selecting Decline, your child’s application will remain on the waitlist for the other Open Choice districts that were included on your application. Your child will be eligible for one additional Open Choice placement offer for the 2022-23 school year, although another offer is not guaranteed. Please note, your child’s application remains only on the Open Choice waitlist and is no longer eligible for a placement offer to a magnet school for the 2022-23 school year.
6. This wasn’t my first choice option, will my child get another offer? If you decide to decline or do not respond to your child’s placement offer, your child’s application will remain on the waitlist for the other Open Choice districts that were included on your application. You may receive one additional Open Choice placement offer. Please note, another placement offer is not guaranteed. By receiving the placement offer, whether you decide to accept or decline it, your child is not eligible to receive a placement offer for a magnet school for the 2022-23 school year.
7. What if I do not respond within the deadline? If you do not respond to this placement offer, your child’s application will remain on the waitlist for the other Open Choice districts that were included on your application. You may receive one additional Open Choice placement offer. Please note, another placement offer is not guaranteed. By receiving an offer, your child is not eligible for a placement offer for a magnet school for the 2022-23 school year.
8. Do you have a different question or are you looking for something and could not find it? We are here to help you. Contact us in the way that works best for you:
Waitlist Notification and Information
Every application year we have more families applying to a RSCO School Choice school/program than we have available seats. The families that do not receive a placement offer are sent a notice to inform them that their child’s application is on the waitlist for the schools and programs they selected on their application. Families that receive a waitlist notification for the 2022-23 school year still have an opportunity to be placed at one of their school choices. The placement process has just started! We continue to send placement offers during the spring and summer months as seats become available.
Things You Need to Know!
1. Does this mean that my application was denied? No, the application was not denied. Your application remains in the applicant pool for the 2022-23 school year.
2. What do I do next? After receiving a waitlist notification. the next thing you should do is decide whether you would like your child’s application to stay on the waitlist for the program type (magnet, open choice or technical high schools) you selected on your application. Then, log into your application and select either “Remain” or “Remove” your child from the waitlist for each program on the student card from your Dashboard. Repeat these steps if you have more than one child on your dashboard.
3. How can I find out when placement offers for the technical high schools and other programs (magnets, Open Choice) are sent? You may visit our announcements page regularly for updates. You may also log-in to your on-line application and check for updates on your Dashboard. We will be emailing placement offers during the spring and summer months, through September 30, 2022.
4. Can I remove or add a school/program to my application? Yes, RSCO has a new process that will be implemented in late May that will allow families who do not receive a placement offer in the initial placement rounds to add schools to their child’s application to increase their chance of a placement. To help families make informed decisions, families will view an indicator of how long the waitlist is at each school. Families will have the opportunity to add their child to schools that they did not select on the initial application based on the length of the waitlist. We added this new process to increase families’ chances of an offer where the initial school selections have long waitlists.
5. How long am I on the waitlist? Unless you select Remove on your Dashboard, your child’s name will remain on the waitlist for all the program types (magnet, Open Choice, technical high schools) that you selected until September 30, 2022 unless you receive a placement offer. In late May, you will be able to view an indicator of waitlist length (long, medium, short).
6. Will I receive a waitlist number? No, we do not distribute waitlist numbers because we do not maintain a single waitlist.
7. Do you have a different question or are you looking for something and could not find it? We are here to help you. Contact us in the way that works best for you: